Blog Blinkies, Banners & Backgrounds Made To Order - Reasonable Prices!

BLINKIESMADETO ORDER!Sale!CUSTOMBLOGBACKGROUNDSMADETO ORDER! eMAIL FOR INFO!

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Macaroni Nightmare

Hubby asked, snow is on the ground, comfort food is needed! LOL! Recipe is below pictures. When I cook things like this, I tend to cook a bunch. I use many types and sizes of containers to freeze and save. SO helpful when the hot weather or a super busy rush day happens. When I make lasagna, I have enough to feed my family for a year, plus gifts for others and I only spen 2 days doing it. Well worth the effort.
Clueless...huh? Well, this is about 2 gallons of homemade cheese sauce.
Every time is different, depending what kind of cheese I have about. This is about 1/2 of the 3 pounds of mac I cooked, mixing in the cheese sauce.
This is all the final production. (Click to enlarge) Took all day between other chores and hubby. The loaf pans also afford left overs, since Tom needs a supper around noon time what, with his new job, he can not bring in food. It all freezes well. I double wrap with wax paper, then foil. Add some milk to frozen and bake 350° for 1 hour or so.
Recipe:
Only guessing, I never really measure.
About 1 /12 - 2# of assorted cheese. You can save that one lonely slice of swiss or provolone. Many deli's ( like mine) sell, end chunks. Just wrap all well and freeze for a few months. When you have a batch get ready.
In a very large heavy pot, melt one stick (1/2 cup) of butter.
Add about a cup (give or take) of flour.
Add ground black pepper and if you wish, ground nutmeg.
Stir till very thick and just a tab brown & nutty smelling.
Add about 2 cups of milk, again give or take, then 1/2 of your cheese(s).
LOW heat, keep whisking it!
Add milk as needed
Meanwhile, cook 1-2 pounds of elbow mac. This, you see here, I used 3 pounds.
Add rest of cheese. Mix in huge bowl. Portion out. Use wax paper & foil if freezing. This really translates well in oven/micro from frozen, just add a tip of milk. Also you can toss it ALL into a crockpot for a crowd pleaser. Just keep lose with additional milk!
Photobucket
Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It

1 comment:

Ann said...

Misty, this looks great! I need to do this kind of thing now and freeze them so that in May and June when my schedule is crazy, I can just heat up some meals instead of having to actually cook when I get home!!